We are hiring a Marketing and Communications Director!
Trans Europe Halles (TEH) is an international network with more than 140 members in 40 countries, initiated by citizens and artists.
We have been at the forefront of repurposing industrial and commercial buildings for arts, culture and community uses since 1983. TEH members are multidisciplinary spaces that combine artistic and social activities, as they believe that arts and culture have the power to transform people, spaces and societies.
The coordination team consists of 11 skilled and motivated people from different professional backgrounds and origins (Europe, Asia, Middle East and Africa), and a long record of international experience. TEH’s communication language is English.
Purpose of Position
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Marketing and Communications Director plays a key role in setting the strategy and promoting the Trans Europe Halles new brand. As member of TEH senior leadership team, the MARCOM Director is the custodian of our network’s new brand and voice. They are responsible for developing, in consultation with the leadership team, the institutional marketing and communications plans to support the achievement of our strategic objectives. The MARCOM Director manages external creative and PR agencies and ensures the execution of the institutional plan through these partners. They provide recommendations to the Managing Director on the enhancement of the network’s reputation and visibility, manages related internal and external issues and ensures that all the activities of the network benefit from sufficient and appropriate exposure. The MARCOM Director also manages one communications manager, and 2 EU volunteers and works collaboratively with peers in all departments.
- Functioning as the custodian of TEH brand, the MARCOM Director ensures that all communications, both printed and online, adhere to the new brand guidelines and provides quality control for the network’s brand, ensuring deliverables meet the high standards and align with our network’s activist vision and requirements.
- In partnership with the respective department directors, developing short and long term communication plans, including digital media plans, that relate to agreed and articulated long and short term objectives.
- Communicating more directly and efficiently with our Ambassadors, members, associate members, prospective members, maintaining and developing the attractivity of our network and co-developing engagement and loyalty plans for our current members.
- Developing, in partnership with the respective department directors, short and long term marketing and communication plans, including digital media plans, that relate to agreed and articulated long and short term objectives to market and publicize the network, its programs and activities to our members and general audiences, and its commercial offerings to general and target markets, using all of the tools available in a modern media environment.
- Overviewing the drafting of the Terms of Reference and the functional direction of our new website to be unveiled in June of 2023. Engaging and managing external creative and PR contractors, ensuring that marketing and communications plans and campaigns adhere to the TEH brand and are executed as per plan.
- Developing and implementing the communication, and digital media plans, articulating a process by which content will be developed and disseminated across various media.
- Overseeing the good implementation of the communication and dissemination work packages of the major grant programs TEH is leading on.
- Providing guidance and support to our hubs and members for writing successful grant applications, by helping them develop innovative dissemination strategies
- Building sustainable partnerships with other organizations (public sector, private sector, Third sector in Europe and globally), with the aim to extend the marketing and the communications reach of the network.
- Building sustainable relationships with local and international journalists and opinion makers, and with local and international media outlets.
- Ensuring adequate exposure of TEH projects and activities, develop innovative dissemination tools.
- Ensuring that audience research is conducted and analyzing results so that learnings can inform future initiatives.
- Building and maintaining excellent working relationships with the network’s funding bodies (European Commission, Swedish Government, Foundations…).
- Building and maintaining excellent working relationships with our members, helping develop capacity building programs for our centres to improve their own communications tools.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues and consulting regularly and continuously with our centres’ communications teams.
- Managing the in-house MARCOM team, clarifying roles and responsibilities.
- Training and promoting the professional development of the current communications manager through career stages; providing performance assessments informally throughout the year and formally on an annual basis to direct reports.
- Developing communications briefs, reports and making presentations for the Managing Director and/or the Board as required.
- Representing the division at directors meetings and for presentations to the Board as required.
- Overseeing in partnership with the Finance and administration director the preparation of the annual divisional budget and managing divisional finances within the approved budget.
- Any other tasks assigned by the Managing Director.
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in leadership roles in Marketing and Communications in the NGO, public and/or private sectors, with previous experience of working in an international arts and culture organization (mandatory).
- Good knowledge of European funding streams, experience of leading dissemination work packages in European funded projects a plus.
- Demonstrable experience of managing external contractors’ relationships.
- Proven ability to develop and realize creative and multifaceted marketing plans across many platforms with a tangible record of success.
- Understanding of digital platforms, specifically around web and social media
- Proven ability to develop professional relationships that result in stable, consistent, reliable marketing and communications initiatives.
- Excellent print and broadcast media contacts locally and internationally and proven ability to build new ones.
- Ability to problem-solve and work independently in a dynamic environment with competing deadlines.
- Knowledge and experience with marketing and communications initiatives that support fundraising, membership development and sponsorship solicitation.
- Perfect command of English; other languages ability a plus.
- Knowledge and/or interest in radical urbanism, alternative cultures, arts a plus;
- Knowledge of Microsoft 365 a plus
- An affinity with the underlining goals and philosophy of the Trans Europe Halles Network.
Salary: 37 000 SEK/month (brut)
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 25, 23:59 CET.
The position is open and available immediately.
Please note that this position requires to work a minimum of 115 working days per year on site at our Lund office in Sweden: All candidates will be required to show proof of their legal ability to live and work in Sweden (TEH cannot sponsor visas for non-EU citizens) and must be willing to relocate. Trans Europe Halles has flexible remote work policies.
Selection and notification
Trans Europe Halles thanks all those who apply, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Trans Europe Halles is an equal opportunity employer that values all knowledge and cultures, and we are committed to the advancement of women, visible minorities, and people with disabilities.
We strongly encourage all candidates from these designated groups to apply for our career opportunities.