2024 membership applications now open
Become one of us! Trans Europe Halles is launching an open call inviting organisations to apply to become full or associate members of the network.
Becoming a full member
Becoming a member of TEH, you will be joining a community of artists and cultural professionals who are united by their exceptional ability to understand and seize the potential of abandoned urban and rural spaces and transform them into places full of life and creativity.
- A non-governmental organisation or private enterprise operating in a repurposed space/building
- A centre/organisation with a legal entity structure. i.e., has legal rights and responsibilities, including tax filling
- Must be at least two years old
- A community-led independent international grassroots centre/organisation arising from a citizen’s initiative
- Has autonomous, multidisciplinary social and cultural programming
- Supports and advocates for a democratic and pluralistic society
- Shows a strong commitment to equity, sustainability, diversity and equal opportunities
- Strong motivation and willingness to be actively engaged
- Should be from any of these eligible 46 countries – https://coe.int
- Direct access to all the networking opportunities, programmes and resources offered by Trans Europe Halles
- Community of peers from 160+ organisations from 40+ countries across Europe and beyond that share their passion for buildings, social justice and arts and culture
- Possibility to shape the future of the network through voting rights or joining the Executive Committee – our governing body
- Advocacy for specific needs such as anti-eviction, urgent response to crisis and solidarity efforts within the network
- Funding opportunities, grant writing consultancy, and matchmaking for project partners
- Monthly internal newsletter
- Possibility to build or join international consortiums and take an active part in EU-funded projects
- Opportunity to join specialized working groups (HUBS) on specific topics or geographical areas
- Access to all TEH training and capacity building programs and mobility support opportunities
- Discounted prices for all TEH events
- Access to all publications and catalogues produced for over 40 years!
Don’t meet our full membership criteria?
Don’t worry! You can still become an associate member with us!
Organizations within and outside Europe can apply as associate members if they share Trans Europe Halles values and are interested in our activities
- National networks
- Cultural businesses, social enterprises and cooperatives
- Government-run institutions (State cultural institutions and agencies, private-public institutions, regions and cities, etc.)
- Sustainable urban development agencies
- NGOs, associations, civil society groups
- Universities and research institutes
- Alternative media.
- Experts in renewable energy
- Preservation and management of heritage sites
- Hacker spaces
- Advocacy groups
- Access to Trans Europe Halles’ Annual conference. Community of 160+ organisations from 40+ countries across Europe and beyond that share passion for buildings, social justice, arts and culture
- Advocacy for specific needs, urgent response to crisis & solidarity efforts within the network.
- Monthly internal newsletter
- Opportunity of joining specialised working groups (HUBS) on specific topics or geographical areas
- Access to some of TEH training & capacity building programs
- Discounted prices for all TEH events
- Access to publications and catalogues produced for over 40 years.
HOW CAN YOU JOIN?
To ensure that your organisation/centre gets the most out of joining Trans Europe Halles network, and verify that your values align with ours - a mutual beneficial partnership - we have put together the following membership application procedures:
- Fill out the online application form during the open application period (December 2023 – 29 February 2024)
- Screening of application at the end of the application period and email feedback to all applicants (March/April 2024)
- Selected applications continue the process by receiving an invitation to attend an online presentation for in-depth information about Trans Europe Halles (March/April)
- Selected applications get an invitation to attend TEH conference (Mandatory if you have previously not attended any TEH conference/camp meeting) and newcomers ‘session where they meet other members of the network (May/June)
- We provide invitation letters for organisations that need to apply for visa to enable them to attend the conference
- Visit by one of the Executive Committee members to your centre/organization for assessment and report after the conference (June/July)
- The Executive Committee reaches a decision on your application (July)
- If the executive committee approves your application, you get an invitation (July) to present your centre/organisation at the next Camp meeting in September
- After your presentation and during the General Assembly at the Camp meeting, other members of the network vote to either accept or reject your membership application
- A welcome email is sent after the Camp meeting if the application gets a ‘yes’ vote at the General Assembly.
Questions? Great! Contact our Membership Relations Manager
If you have any questions, please contact our Project and Membership Relations Manager Femi
Trans Europe Halles is a member-led non-governmental organisation born on 6 March 1983 and currently based in Sweden. We generate strong connections between grassroots cultural centres and enable them to fulfill their potential: activate communities, neighborhoods, cities and regions through arts and culture. Find out more here.
Motivated to apply?
Are you still motivated to apply? Then start your process by filling in this APPLICATION FORM before 29 February 2024.
DISCLAIMER! In 2024, while we welcome applications from all over the world, we especially encourage applications from organisations based in Bulgeria, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Belgium, North Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Malta, Moldova, Switzerland. Additionally, special consideration will be given to applications from organisations in sub-urban areas, youth-led collectives and underrepresented communities including LGBTQ+, and arts and culture organisations working in the fields of alternative media, digital cultures, environmental sustainability, research, democracy, and humanitarian response. We also encourage like-minded organisations, potential allies and sidekicks from countries outside the 46 countries of the Council of Europe, or from the following sectors: academia, urbanism, architecture, energy, diversity, social inclusion, social entrepreneurship, democracy and human rights, civic tech, youth, heritage, decolonization...to apply as associate members.